Become A Volunteer
Volunteer With Gateway Pet Guardians
Volunteers are the lifeblood of Gateway Pet Guardians. With so few staff, we depend on volunteers to help at all levels of our organization, from small day-to-day tasks to managing our programs.Please note that at this time, all of our volunteers must be 18 years or older.
Want to be hands-on with the dogs? Looking for a role where you can help whenever it fits in your schedule? We need help at our emergency shelter in St. Louis City seven days a week! Our shelter dogs live for visits from volunteers, who can help with a variety of tasks, including:
- Walking and socializing dogs
- Grooming and bathing dogs
- Facilitating enrichment activities that stimulate all of the dogs’ senses
- Cleaning kennels
- General maintenance – cleaning, laundry, and the occasional handy-man project
- Clerical tasks – filing, organizing donations, etc.
Gateway has a number of quick and easy ways to volunteer for people who are looking to contribute sporadically:
- Fundraising and/or Adoption Events – Helping with set-up or take-down, running registration, handling adoptable dogs, representing GPG to attendees, and more. Note: events involving alcohol are for ages 21+ only.
- Clerical tasks – Volunteer from home! Making phone calls, sending emails, stuffing envelopes, updating spreadsheets and other office-related tasks.
- Transportation – Picking-up and dropping-off animals or donations.
We love hosting small groups of volunteers from businesses, organizations and colleges at our Emergency Shelter! Groups can help with dog walking, cleaning and maintenance projects. At the same time, organizing and overseeing projects for groups takes staff time, so we hope you will understand that we must limit the number of groups we can accept in a given month. And please note that all volunteers need to be 18 years of age.
If you have a group of 10 or fewer people and at can give us at least four weeks lead time, please email our Group Coordinator to find a day when you can help out!
We always welcome fresh ideas and volunteers with specific skill sets they can offer to our organization. If you think you could help in another way, email our Volunteer Program Lead today!